Thursday, June 23, 2011

Through a Child's Eyes

There are many things that I love about being a mother.  The sound of my childrens' laughter.  The hugs and kisses and I Love Yous.  The awe on their faces when experience something new, and their joy when they accomplish something or learn a new skill.  However, the moments I live for are those when my children teach me something or say or do something that inspires me.  During these moments, I feel validated as a mother...that I must be doing something right if my child, at age 15 or 7, is able to help me grow as a person.


As you may already know, I have been participating in Daisy Yellow's Index-Card_A-Day Challenge (click here to view my cards), and, of course, my daughter has been joining me in my 5 minutes of creativity everyday.  Often times she will sneak a peak at what I'm doing and proceed with her own version of whatever I happen to come up with.  However, last Friday she picked up her colored pencils and started drawing away with a single-minded focus, paying no mind to what I was doing.  The result blew me away.






I had drawn a similar picture one day when we were having some art time, so the idea was not entirely her own...but I was impressed with her skill.  She had drawn this free hand and from memory!


Over the past few days I have found myself coming back to this card.  It fills me with joy and hope and awe every time I look at it.  I ask myself "Who is this little creature that my husband and I have created and what great things will she accomplish in her life?"  Because I have no doubt that she (as well as my son) will accomplish great things...and it is my fervent hope that God will bless me with health and long life so that I may come along for the ride!

3 comments :

  1. How beautiful Gail! I would mat and frame it. Have you seen the book Drawing with Children? You and your daughter may enjoy using it together. I learn daily from my children and I think being a mom is the greatest joy a woman can experience. Now, just wait until you are a grandmother--it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tracey. I will look up the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is as creative as her mama! :)

    ReplyDelete