Monday, August 22, 2011

Time



Today I felt time move.  
It was a tangible feeling...like a small whisper of a breeze blowing on an otherwise windless day.
It was there...and then it wasn't.
It was an awesome thing, this feeling of time passing.
Scary...but awesome.  
It was like living in the past, the present, and the future, all at the same time.
Not just thinking about these states of being, but really being.


We always talk about living in the moment and how short life is, but until today, when I physically experienced the movement of time as it passed through me, I didn't really understand the significance of these words. 
I realized in that moment what it means when we say that time cannot be slowed down, detained, or made to wait.  


Time is it's own.


We can pretend to control time with calendars and watches and schedules, but in reality, no matter what is penciled in on the calendar or what time our watch reads, time will pass...whether we are doing many things...or nothing at all.  
Everyday is precious, yes...but so is every hour, every minute, and every second.  Every thought, feeling, idea, moment, and breath is carried away, second by second, minute by minute, and hour by hour, by the palpable stream of time that runs through us, and around us, everyday.


Seems obvious doesn't it?  So why do we so often lose sense of time, even when we take time to slow down and live in the moment?  


I think today I discovered that, at least for me, it is the physical aspect of time that I have been missing.  To know something in your mind is good...but to feel it in your heart, body, and soul is to experience it to its fullest capacity. That is truly living in the moment...to experience time...this time, the last time, and next time with our entire being.  




Linking this photo to the 52 Photos Project.


52 Photos Project

6 comments :

  1. Beautiful Gail. I think I realized the most about time as I watched my father in-law battle cancer and take his last breathe in my husband's arms and then when I watched my granddaughter take her very first breath. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely and so true. The older I get the faster time whizzes by for me. I try so much to appreciate my day just because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I love yoga and children (not in that order, well not today at least) because they both "force" me to live in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photo and awesome writing today ~ namaste, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so lovely Gail, thanks so much for sharing such honesty.
    And the photo is gorgeous :).
    xx oo

    ReplyDelete