Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Rat Race

Hectic morning.  My son had a 9am ortho appointment in south Orange County (from home it’s a 30minute drive on So Cal freeways…not happy times even on an early Saturday morning), and my daughter was trying out her first day of Taekwondo at 10am back home.  Luis is in class on Saturday morning, so it’s all me.  We almost didn’t make it to Taekwondo.  Thankfully, they took her in even though we were almost 10 minutes late.  Bella absolutely loved the class and very animatedly insisted “sign me up right now” after class was over.  Here she is trying on her uniform as soon as I had handed over the check and we were back at home:



So now I have made a commitment to take her to taekwondo class two weeknights per week.  This is a huge commitment for me seeing as I work full time and don’t usually make it home until 5:30pm-6pm on week nights (Luis works until 6:30pm, so we are well into our evening by the time he gets home).  Now with this Taekwondo class twice a week I will have 45 minutes to an hour to get change, make dinner, feed the kiddos, and get Bella across town during rush hour to her class.  Not to mention that we will have to adjust our homework schedule, and every other week we will also have her Daisy meeting.  Whew!  I’m tired already and we haven’t even started!

In the midst of all this I’m thinking…where does this leave me with my new take-life-one-day-at-a-time approach?  The thing is, there is our plan, and there is life’s plan.  I can’t very well tell my daughter that she can’t do Taekwondo because I’ve made a resolution to simplify my life and racing around town two nights a week (three when we have Daisies) just doesn’t fit in with my plan.  So now I have to figure out how to live life simply and in the moment while giving in a little more to the rat race.  How do I maintain my balance when life is forcing me to move at warp speed?  How do I balance my need to do less with the needs of my children to try everything?  I guess I will start trying to figure that out come Monday!

No comments :

Post a Comment