Friday, October 14, 2011

Lucky

Taken from Microsoft Word Clipart


We all (often) ruminate about our lives…and how we feel.  I’m sure there are many times when you say, “I’m so busy” or “I’m so tired.”  Or maybe sometimes you look at the bright side and say, “I’m so happy” or “I feel so loved.”  But do you ever stop to think about how lucky you are?  I do.  A lot.

I think it’s inevitable to dwell on the bad sometimes.  There are days when we are feeling down and nothing seems to go right.  You know the days.  When you wake up and stub your toe on your way to the bathroom and think, “It’s gonna be one of those days.”

Then there are the days when life couldn’t be better.  When happiness and joy consumes us, and the love we feel for others and others feel for us, fills up our heart to almost bursting.  These are great days, and most of us try to make sure that these days far outweigh the bad ones.

But what I mean when I say lucky is not happiness or joy or love.  I’m talking about something else…something outside of ourselves that sets in motion outcomes and results that affect our lives in a myriad of ways.

Luck – a combination of circumstances or events that, by chance, shape other circumstances or events.  Could be good or could be bad…but when we say lucky, we usually mean good.

I know what you're thinking...there's nothing lucky about stubing your toe first thing in the morning and watching the rest of your day go downhill from there, Gail.  And your right.  Sometimes life gets sucky, and it seems that no matter what we do, it only gets worse.  Sometimes when we are feeling crappy, happiness and joy eludes us, and despair takes over no matter how hard we try to the contrary.  However, it doesn't have to be all gloom, all the time.

You see, sometimes…when I’m having one of those days…I start thinking.  I think about the events in my life that have shaped who I am.  I think about the people I’ve met and the relationships I’ve forged.  I think about where I’ve been, where I’m going, and how far I’ve come.  I think about all of the decisions I’ve made right, and all of the things I’ve learned from the ones I’ve made wrong.  I think about all the ways in which my life is whole and healthy and good.  And I feel…lucky!  Lucky because in my thirty-five years on Earth there have been many circumstances and events that have led me down many paths.  And, although those paths have not always been smooth, and I’ve had to back-track a few times, they have always led me to a good place.  

And sometimes these are things we need to think about when we are having one of those days, so we can clear out gray clouds and make room for the happiness and the joy and the love to find it's way back into our lives and our hearts.

A big thank you to all those that visit, and leave me happy notes.  They truly make my day, as they are proof that someone is reading this stuff :)  I’m very lucky to have such wonderful blog-friends!  Wishing you a very lucky weekend!


This post is dedicated to my beautiful mother, who's having one of those days.   Love you, Mom <3

No comments :

Post a Comment