Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Invitation for Wishing

Invitation
By Shel Silverstein


If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wishers, a liar, 
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!




This weekend we made wish boxes. I got the idea from this book that I found quite by accident as I was buying another book which SouleMama wrote about in this post.

A wish box is place to drop your wishes no matter how impossible they may seem. The idea is that once you write them down they become real and there is a greater likelihood that they will come true. I think we can all remember a time when we wished on a shooting star or stood in front of a water fountain, penny in hand and eyes tightly clenched as wished the most secret of all wishes. However, as we grow older we allow the voice of our mature rational and practical selves to silence our innermost desires.

There is a saying in Spanish:

“Soñar no cuesta nada.”

It translates to: Dreaming does not cost anything. Except for maybe a penny or two now and again. So why not give free reign to our dreams and wishes? I figure if I can help my children learn this at an early age they will always be dreamers and wishers and not let rationality and practicality stand in the way of what they truly want.

Isabella and I have started putting wishes in our wish boxes every night before bed. I see the deep concentration on her face as she writes down her wishes and the complete faith in the possibilities when she drops each wish into her box. I have to say, it also feels quite liberating as I drop in my own wishes. There is a great peace in knowing I have turned my wishes into the care of the universe. And who know? Maybe someday…

No comments :

Post a Comment